Aquifer, a non-profit organization delivering online health care education, is seeking a Full Stack Developer to join our software development team as our Technical Lead. This is a remote first opportunity. Applicants, please include with your resume a link to an accessible code repository containing sample projects.
Simply put, our goal is to affordably empower learners to become the clinicians they imagined themselves to be through online education. Aquifer's vision is to transform healthcare education to achieve a $10,000 annual tuition. We’re a unique self-funded, mission-driven nonprofit – a virtual learning company with a 98% market share in medical education, and a growing presence in physician assistant and nurse practitioner education. Our courses are designed by a consortium of the nation’s leading medical educators to help students acquire core knowledge, clinical reasoning skills and other cognitive competencies. More than 70,000 students complete over 2,000,000 Aquifer cases annually. We are rapidly accelerating our strategy to meet the unprecedented virtual education needs exposed by the COVID-19 pandemic. We invite you to join us in leading the revolution.
Reporting to the Manager of Software Engineering, this position is responsible for developing, maintaining, and promoting the technical vision of our products to help build the next-generation medical education platform. This position will provide technical and architectural leadership to our software development team to support new releases of our main Medical Education Delivery Platform. Our Engineering team includes Junior and Senior developers supporting the following areas: Design, Mobile, and Platform. We take pride in the utility of the products we have built and the craftsmanship of their implementations.
- Builds and performs training and documentation for Aquifer’s applications. Maintains, implements, upgrades and supports proprietary applications as required.
- Assists in the collection of user requirements, development of user stories, estimates and work plans. Supports and participates in stakeholder collaboration meetings to capture and develop use cases for development planning.
- Works with internal business owners and Aquifer partners while representing the software development team as the CTO’s delegate. Identifies options and efficient solutions for software requests.
- Maintains high software quality standards within the team by establishing good practices and habits. Validates that any work done, whether development or issue resolution, will be thoroughly tested within the testing environment before being implemented into the production environment.
- Manages and guides development efforts from inception through completion, balancing customer satisfaction and team engagement with delivery to expectations and schedule.
- Guides the team through internal processes. Helps the team find a sustainable pace and effective estimation techniques. Plans and tracks product backlogs, milestones, schedules, and sprints.
- Provides technical leadership to teammates through mentorship, helps others develop appropriate knowledge, skills and attitudes through objective setting, coaching, training and the provision of constructive feedback. Identifies and encourages growth within the team.
- Coordinates with the development team to prioritize the product backlog into one or more sprint backlog tasks.
- Understands the responsibility to maintain familiarity with Aquifer systems and this position's role in support of these systems. This includes a consideration of the impact of individual actions on the system and the responsibility to communicate concerns and improvement ideas.
- Quickly recognizes issues and performs the steps needed to resolve the issue as quickly and effectively as possible. Includes other team members depending on the magnitude of the issue.
- Creates and maintains unit tests along with relevant mocked data, and participates in system level testing and development of scripts and automation tools to improve software testing to various platforms.
- Participate in peer-reviews of solution designs and related code. Diagnoses and resolves software problems quickly and efficiently by reverse engineering and debugging software code.
- Packages and supports deployment of releases. Coordinates release content and effort based on the request backlog and conducts release readiness and milestone reviews. Maintains deployment, run books and implementation plans.
- Participates in Post Mortem Review to document opportunities for improvement and what was learned for future reference.
- Performs other duties as necessary in support of business objectives.
Expected Experience and Attributes
- Ability to build and use APIs, Linux, Heroku, SSH, SSL, SQL, JSON, Apache, PostgresQL, Cucumber, Rspec and React.
- Expertise with Ruby on Rails.
- Exceptional communication skills and desire to share your knowledge with clarity, patience, and empathy to a variety of stakeholders and business units across the company.
- Experience with Agile and traditional software lifecycle management tools such as JIRA, Confluence, TFS, Crucible, or Fish-eye.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to grow developers with different competencies, enabling them to achieve professional and personal goals.
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills. Excellent presentation skills, suitably adapted and targeted to the audience. The ability to actively listen to others, understand their feelings, needs and points of view and then to respond appropriately.
- Flexible and adaptable to the changing needs and priorities of the organization.
- Minimum BS (MS preferred) degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science. Professional software development experience in a senior-level capacity with a modern web framework such as Ruby on Rails.
- Proven ability to implement next-generation applications. High personal productivity, must be proactive, self-motivated, and attentive to detail while working pragmatically under deadlines.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills to ensure products meet the functional and non-functional requirements with quality and velocity.
- Experience in the medical education publishing industry, Cloud Networking or SaaS is desirable.
Aquifer’s Core Values
- Live the Aquifer non-profit mission -- feel the need, create the future, evaluate the impact.
- Collaborate wholeheartedly -- be proactive and agile, seek first to understand, play well together.
- Keep your promises -- get stuff done and deliver on time, finish what you started, own the responsibility.
- Do the right thing -- remember the Golden Rule, put the customer first, embrace transparency.
- Be bold and fierce -- attack the opportunity, show your grit, manage your fear.
- Strive for excellence -- make your A-game your everyday game, know your stuff, stretch a lot.
- Enjoy the journey -- take the work seriously and yourself less so, go far together, be well.
Our organization strongly values diversity and the inclusion of people from a wide range of backgrounds and experience, recognizing that such diversity will enrich our culture and strengthen our ability to fulfill our organization’s mission.
Aquifer is currently adapting to a remote first work environment making working remotely the primary option for our employees. We are actively developing practices around periodically bringing employees together to make sure our connection, culture, and purpose are empowered. As the company moves forward with its remote first strategy we do ask for some level of flexibility as we evolve!